Consumer research surveys come in different forms and can be designed to address a variety of different issues. They are vulnerable to bias, however, and must be properly designed, executed and presented in order to yield meaningful responses.
Keegan & Donato Consulting is located in beautiful Rye, New York, and serves clients throughout the nation. We have assisted leading IP firms such as Girard Gibbs LLP in San Francisco, Schepisi & McLaughlin, PA in New Jersey, Riemer & Braunstein LLP in Boston, and Day Pitney LLP in New York City.
We employ both classic survey designs and develop innovative custom survey designs to suit our clients’ needs. Our industry-leading online survey software platform facilitates the programming and execution of advanced survey designs, including complex skip logic and advanced rotation and randomization of questions, answer options, and stimuli.
The principals of Keegan & Donato Consulting – Mark Keegan and Anthony Donato – have 25 years of combined expertise in designing, executing and critiquing consumer research studies in the context of litigation, with an unusual mix of strategic and analytical skills.
Mr. Keegan is a member of the New York and Connecticut Bar Associations and has formulated complex litigation case strategies on behalf of his clients and worked as a marketing strategist with top brands. Mr. Donato has a Master of Public Policy from Georgetown University and an extensive background in marketing, intellectual property, and consumer behavior cases covering trademark, copyright, patent, best efforts, advertising, business damages, consumer surveys, and business ethics.
The firm is a member of ESOMAR, the leading global association for market, social and opinion research, the International Trademark Association (INTA), and the American Marketing Association (AMA). Mr. Keegan is an AMA-designated Professional Certified Marketer.
Keegan & Donato Consulting specializes in a wide range of trademark and trade-dress analyses and surveys, such as:
- Likelihood of Confusion Surveys –We measure likelihood of confusion through classic survey designs and unique custom surveys that meet our clients’ needs. Our firm has designed and critiqued hundreds of likelihood of confusion studies to ascertain whether consumers are confused by a party’s use of a contested mark.
- Secondary Meaning Surveys – Proving secondary meaning can be a critical step in trademark litigation. We can help you strengthen your case strategy by designing a consumer research survey to target relevant consumers in your client’s market and determine the extent to which consumers associate a contested mark with a single or multiple sources.
- Strength of Mark Surveys – Consumer surveys can be very useful in determining the extent to which consumers are familiar with a brand. If your case involves strength of mark, consider a survey that measures consumer reaction to the mark and demonstrates the level of consumer recognition.
- Lanham Act Surveys –A methodologically sound consumer research study can provide empirical evidence on the issue of whether an alleged infringement is having a real world impact on consumers. A survey conducted by Keegan & Donato Consulting can strengthen your Lanham Act case.
- Consumer Perception Surveys – A common issue in false advertising and other types of consumer fraud cases is how consumers perceive and interpret specific claims made by a manufacturer on packaging and in other marketing communications. Consumer perception of marketing claims can be tested through consumer research.
Call Keegan & Donato Consulting at (914) 967-9421 to take advantage of our incomparable expertise in consumer research surveys.
Learn more about our services:
Likelihood of confusion
Strength of mark
Lanham Act claims